Friday, May 01, 2015

Well, I'm pretty much done with Year 2 of university except for one last pesky sociology paper next Tuesday. I gotta say, its been a pretty chill semester given the fact that I have only two finals which are conveniently one week spaced apart from each other. That supposedly gives me sufficient time to concentrate and study for each paper. 


But it's me, I'm easily distracted and I'm constantly finding ways to escape studying. So here I am facing my macbook screen while surrounded by tons of unread notes. Good lord, I really don't deserve to do well. But still -fingerscrossed- I sincerely hope I do.  #storyofmylife 


It's been an important semester for me, mainly because the modules I took this semester made me figure out what I was really interested in, career-wise. It's gratifying to finally have something substantial to work towards. Well, its not like I entered university without having a slight clue to what I wanted in life. Honestly, it was narrowing down to my least disliked choices. 


Up till tertiary education, I was pretty much going with the flow. If math & science were the way to go, I'm definitely there. If the most popular choice was triple science, that'd be my first choice. Ironically, I was always kinda doing better in arts/humanities subjects. Not arts & crafts though, 14-year-old Jermaine had to get his mother to help him with his drawings. Other than ridiculous snapchat drawings, I'm just really bad at hands-on kinda stuff. Don't even get me started on design & technology. Other than a dysfunctional clock and a standby terrific story to save me from awkwardness when conversations dry out, I don't think I've learnt much from D&T. 


I enjoyed reading and writing about Singapore's war history, how volcanos and oxbow lakes were formed and even Animal Farm and Totto-chan. But there I was, struggling to crunch numbers on calculators in math tuition. Input effort and output results were severely disproportionate. Oh, I really hated math homework.


There was one year where I didn't hand up any math homework at all. I think that was when I was 15. Hmm. I can't exactly recall how I managed to get away with it the entire year but my math teacher was obviously fuming about it. He gave me an ultimatum - get an A for my math prelims or hand up a years' worth of math homework. 


Thankfully, I pulled through. #humblebrag #speechlessmathteacher 


Anyways after almost getting slaughtered during A levels, I decided that I never wanted to touch math or science ever again. So that's pretty much how I ended up at NUS.  I'm really enjoying what I'm learning right now. Other than that one incoherent lecturer with a super thick accent coupled with an unfortunate lunchtime lecture slot, I don't really fall asleep in university lectures. That's something considering how often I dozed off back in JC. 


Thankful for my uni education. 

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.